Healthy Christmas Snacks Your Kids Will Love!
It’s never too early to get the kids helping in the kitchen and teaching them about healthy eating. With Christmas fast approaching, here are some of our favourite simple, fun and delicious festive season snacks that you can make with the kids. Great for the big kids too!
Avocado Christmas Trees
A firm favourite at BodyICE HQ is smashed avo on toast. So here we have a Christmassy version that kids of all ages will enjoy.
Pre Time: Approximately 10 minutes
Serves: 4 as a snack or light lunch
- 1 large tortilla wrap
- 1 -2 avocados (depending on size and how much you like to eat them!)
- Salt and cracked pepper to taste
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 2 slices of tasty cheese
- Lightly toast the tortilla wrap in the oven
- While the tortilla is toasting, mash the avocado in a bowl and season to taste with salt & pepper
- Spread the avocado over the tortilla wrap, then cut into quarters
- Using a small star shaped cookie cutter, cut out 4 cheese stars
- Place the cheese star on the top of each tortilla quarter
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves, then place them onto the tortilla to look like Christmas tree decorations (see pic)
- Yum, time to eat!
A quick and easy snack, that the kids can easily assemble and looks super cute too!
Prep Time: Approximately 5 minutes
Serves: Varies (depending on how many you make)
- Round crackers
- Mild salami or pepperoni slices
- Ricotta cheese
- Place the crackers onto a serving plate
- Cut the salami into triangle shapes. This will form the Santa hat
- Dab a small amount of ricotta onto the bottom of the salami and use this part to stick the Santa hats onto the crackers
- Place the ricotta into a Ziploc bag, ensuring the bag is closed. Then cut a small hole in one corner of the bag, and pipe the ricotta onto the crackers to form Santa’s beard.
- Use a tiny bit of ricotta on the capers and place on the crackers for Santa’s eyes
- Slice the celery and stick to the crackers for the moustache and a tiny spot of ricotta for the nose
- Voila, Santa!
- Serve and enjoy immediately
How cool are these little guys! Healthy, quick to make and a fun festive season snack.
Prep Time: Approximately 10 minutes
Serves: Makes 6 snowmen
- 2 bananas
- 1/4 of a carrot
- Handful of currents or sultanas chopped
- 3 strawberries
- 6 grapes
- 6 skewers
- Cut each banana into 9 slices
- Peel the carrot and cut into small triangular slivers for a pointy nose
- Trim the stem from the strawberries and then cut in half. You should get two hats out of each strawberry
- Cut the grapes in half
- To assemble, thread three slices of banana on to each skewer followed by a strawberry hat and grape half. Gently press the currents into the banana slices to create eyes and the buttons on the body, then add the carrot nose
- Serve immediately
Tip: If you’re taking these on a picnic or preparing them for a lunchbox, pack them with cold BodyICE Kids gelpacks to keep them cool and fresh!