Cypriot Grain Salad
As the weather cools here in the southern hemisphere, I seem gravitate towards salads that have a bit of bulk to them. I seriously could eat this Cypriot grain salad everyday. It’s so delicious, nutrient dense, filling and marries well with so many other dishes like fresh fish or lamb. There’s a few variations out there but this one I stole from my Aunty Androulla and I think it’s one of the best around!
1 bunch coriander
1/2 bunch parsley chopped
1/2 red onion finely chopped
1 cup freekah (or cracked wheat)
1/2 cup puy lentils ( you can also use a whole can of brown lentils drained)
2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
2 tablespoons toasted pinenuts
2 tablespoons baby capers
1/2 cup currants
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
Sea salt to taste
1 cup Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon cumin seeds toasted and lightly ground
1 tablespoon honey
1. Blanch freekah and puy lentils separately in boiling water until just cooked. Drain well and allow to cool.
2. Mix the yogurt, cumin and honey until combined. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl place coriander, parsley, red onion, freekah, lentils,toasted nuts, capers, currants, lemon juice, and olive oil. Mix well.
4. Season to taste
5. Remove the seeds from the pomegranate and set aside.
6. Place the salad in serving dish and top with cumin yogurt.
7. Sprinkle fresh pomegranate seeds on top.
The only thing you need to do now is enjoy this healthy, delicious and nutritious treat! It goes with just about everything and is a great salad to graze on. It keeps for a week in the fridge too xxxx
by Lydia Lassila